SASREF is one of the world's largest and most technologically advanced refineries.
SASREF is a highly complex refinery at maximum crude intake as it includes (HCU) Hydrocracker Unit, (VBU) Visbreaker Unit, and Thermal Gas-Oil Unit (TGU).
This leading edge technology further boosts SASREF's international competitiveness as a firmly established pacesetter refinery.
- Production capacity is 305,000 barrels per day (b/d)
- One of the world's largest export refineries covering two square kilometers
- Commercial production began in May 1985
- Arabian Light Crude is upgraded into high quality refined products using hydrogen from natural gas.
- Committed to rigorous environmental controls and emission monitoring procedures meeting stringent environmental performance criteria.
- Two distillation units each of 150,000 b/d.
- 44,000 b/d hydrocracker,one of the largest in the world.
- An aromatic section capable of producing 6,000 b/d of benzene with a 19,000 b/d continuous reformer.
- A highly complex refinery in excess of 305,000 b/d with commissioning if its Thermal Gas-Oil Unit (TGU) and combined gas turbine (GT), the first such application worldwide.
- A single centralized control room enhances operational control of the whole refinery whilst maintaing plant safety and integrity, and equipment reliability. Advanced process control systems enable production to be maximized within product specifications.
- Chemical feedstock naphtha
- Dual-purpose Kerosene
- Gas Oil (Diesel)
- Fuel Oil
- Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Gasoline Component Naphtha (MOGAS)
Benzene is used as feedstock by the Saudi Petrochemical Company( SADAF ) at its facility in Jubail Industrial City.
More than 200 million tonnes of products have been shipped through the export terminal over last 24 years. An average one tanker leaves the export terminal each day.
SASREF’s refined products are pumped through seven dedicated pipelines from the refinery to the Causeway Tank Farm where products are stored in separate tanks for final blending before export.
SASREF has the exclusive use of two jetties at the terminal facilities at King Fahad Industrial Port. It has an on-site laboratory manned around the clock to provide quality assurance and product specification.
Product tanks, Ballast tanks and Slop tanks with a total capacity of 1.3 million cubic meters comprise the Causeway Tank Farm.
Ships can be loaded at a rate of 5000 cubic meters per hour from 14 pump stations.